Ryan
Ryan, UK Nissan Car Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master with L1
30412839

abs warning light comes on above 60 mph and off again when

abs warning light comes on above 60 mph and off again when the engine is stopped and restarted. what might be happening?
Category: UK Nissan
Expert:  Ryan replied 4 years ago.

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX for using justaswer.

This means you have a failure of your ABS system. Your brakes will work normally you just will not have anti lock while the light is on. Have you check your brake fluid level? This is a good place to start.

Electronic Brake Control Module
Notes

CONTROL UNIT

The control unit computes the wheel rotating speed by the signal current sent from the sensor. Then it supplies a DC current to the actuator solenoid valve. It also controls ON-OFF operation of the valve relay and motor relay. If any electrical malfunction should be detected in the system, the control unit causes the warning lamp to light up. In this condition, the ABS will be deactivated by the control unit, and the vehicle's brake system reverts to normal operation.

Edited by Ryan on 3/6/2010 at 5:03 PM EST
Expert:  Ryan replied 4 years ago.
Without Scan Tool
Notes

FUNCTION

• When a problem occurs in the ABS, the ABS warning lamp on the instrument panel comes on. To start the self-diagnostic results mode, ground the self-diagnostic (check) terminal located on "Data link connector". The location of the malfunction is indicated by the ABS warning lamp flashing.

SELF-DIAGNOSIS PROCEDURE

1. Drive vehicle over 30 km/h (19 MPH) for at least one minute.
  2. Turn ignition switch "OFF".

1. Ground terminal "8" of "Data link connector" with a suitable harness.
  2. Turn ignition switch "ON" while grounding terminal "8". Do not depress brake pedal. Do not start engine.

1. After 3.0 seconds, the ABS warning lamp starts flashing to indicate the malfunction code No. (See NOTE.)
  2. Verify the location of the malfunction with the malfunction code chart. See: Powertrain Management\Computers and Control Systems\Testing and Inspection\Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions\Antilock BrakTConSystem\Antilock Brake Then make the necessary repairs following the diagnostic procedures.
  3. After the malfunctions are repaired, erase the malfunction codes stored in the control unit.
  4. Rerun the self-diagnostic results mode to verify that the malfunction codes have been erased.

1. Disconnect the check terminal from the ground. The self-diagnostic results mode is now complete.
  2. Check ABS warning lamp for deactivation after driving vehicle over 30 km/h (19 MPH) for at least one minute.
  3. After making certain that ABS warning lamp does not come on, test the ABS SELF-DIAGNOSIS in a safe area to verify that it functions properly. NOTE: The indication terminates after five minutes. However, when the ignition switch is turned from "OFF" to "ON", the indication starts flashing again.

HOW TO READ SELF-DIAGNOSTIC RESULTS (MALFUNCTION CODES)

1. Determine the code No. by counting the number of times the ABS warning lamp flashes on and off.
  2. When several malfunctions occur at one time, up to three code numbers can be stored; the latest malfunction will be indicated first.
  3. The indication begins with the start code 12. After that a maximum of three code numbers appear in the order of the latest one first. The indication then returns to the start code 12 to repeat (the indication will stay on for five minutes at the most).

let me know if you need more help!!

Edited by Ryan on 3/6/2010 at 5:13 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The question I asked was "what might be happening." you explained how to use the cars diagonstics.

I wanted to know what might be actually happening especially as it only happens at 60 mph and then resets its self by turning off the ignition.

thanks

Norman.

Expert:  replied 4 years ago.
Well, the most common issues are wheel speed sensors. They can fail in many ways. The point is There can be many causes for this light to come on. With out a diagnostic trouble code it is impossible for me to even speculate at the cause.
Ryan, UK Nissan Car Mechanic
Experience: ASE Certified Master with L1