Gary Robinson
Gary Robinson, UK Nissan Car Mechanic
Experience:  25 years of working on Nissans, from Cherrys to Qashqais!

My air bag light is flashing on my nissan micra 53 plate s

My air bag light is flashing on my nissan micra 53 plate s model
Category: UK Nissan
Expert:  Gary Robinson replied 6 years ago.

Thank you very much for your question.

There are a number of reasons why the air bag warning light may have activated and the fault code will be stored in the ECU (electronic control unit). I would recommend having a diagnostic check carried out which will reveal the fault code and point you towards the cause of the problem. You do not have to go to a main dealer for this check.

It may be something as simple as a loose connection, or it could be a faulty sensor, but without the diagnostic check it's not easy to trace the problem. Remember though, air bags can be dangerous, so please take care if you check the connections, and in the event of an accident they might not deploy if the warning light is on or flashing.

Like the engine computer and ABS computer, the air bag control module runs a self-check every time the vehicle is driven. If it finds a fault in a crash sensor, one of the air bag modules, or the wiring then it will turn on the warning light.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards, Gary.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok Thanks for the information I noticed under the passenger seat the white connector is not connected to anything but on the drivers side it is. But cant find were the white connecter goes to or could this just be a spare connector.
Hi again. Sorry for the delay in replying to you. It's possible that the passenger seat does not have a sensor fitted to it. In any case it's unlikely to come apart by itself so I doubt that this is the cause of the light. I think that the best cause of action would still be a diagnostic check.

Regards, Gary.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok thanks for the information will go with your advice.