Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng Hons, 20 years repairing my own cars and others, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

Flat spot..accelerating, Im told it could be the solenoid..carb

Customer Question

I have a flat spot problem when accelerating, I'm told it could be the solenoid on the carb body. Any ideas please.
Alan.
Category: UK Nissan
Expert:  DR CAR replied 5 years ago.
Hello Alan

First of all you do not have a carb, you have a closed loop injection system which is quite technical and needs expert diagnosis to rectify your problem.

Please can you make sure the ignition system is tip top ie. good spark plugs leads distributor cap and rotor arm .

Has the fuel filter been changed to your knowledge?

Has a fuel pressure test been carried out ?

Thank you Peter
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Peter,

I used the carb term loosely I know that it is fuel injected. I have changed the fuel filter but have not yet checked the ignition side. I was a mechanic in the fifties and sixties when cars were not so complicated. The problem I have is when you are accelerating there is a flat spot which then goes, otherwise the engine runs quite well. I was told by someone that there is a solenoid on the 'carb' body which delivers more fuel when needed and that these sometimes stick. I have been doing some welding underneath and have used a rollover frame to do it and have rolled it both sides and wondered it perhaps I have moved some muck about in the 'carb'

Many thanks. Alan.

Expert:  DR CAR replied 5 years ago.
Hello Alan

Hey the good old days !

So are you saying this happened after you did the welding and the roll over?

Thank you Peter
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Peter,

Unfortunately we had not really used the car before I did all the work, because I managed to break my arm. It was only driven about a mile and half to the mot place by my daughter and the back, so we didn't give it a fair trial. It languished about until I felt able to carry out all the mot requirements, quite a lot!!. I bought it off ebay with gearbox trouble, which I changed and then broke my arm. It is for my wife as a runabout. At the moment I am struggling to get the radiator off my Fiat Ullyse and am nearly there except for the intercooler rad and the climate control rad,trying to separate them from the radiator.

Many thanks.

Alan.

Expert:  DR CAR replied 5 years ago.
Hello again Alan

Oh my what a predicament ,can we concentrate on the primary question for the moment please.

Lets go for a long drive and full tank and report back to me please ?

Thank you Peter

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Peter,

Will be doing quite some mileage this week, will give you another email then.

Many thanks,

Alan.

Expert:  DR CAR replied 5 years ago.
Hello Alan

Might be a good idea to pop an injection ststem cleaner in on a full tank.

Thank you Peter

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Peter,
Have not been doing anything to the carfor quite some time due to the weather we have been having. However I have now fixed the problem, I found the solution on the internet on the Micra forum. It was entitled "Throttle Body Re-Soldering" it involves removing the cover off the side of the throttle body and resoldering the three diodes that come from the connector on the side and then re-sealing the cover. I have done this and it has cured it completely.
Many thanks, Alan.
Expert:  DR CAR replied 4 years ago.
Hey Alan thats whay we lite to hear, I like good endings great .

Safe motoring peter