jake-lawrence
jake-lawrence, Workshop manager
Experience:  Level 3 B-tech 7-years in the trade, Bosch Service Tech & ATA certificated
21512883

Nissan Micra won't start.

Customer Question

I am having a problem with my Nissan 2003 Micra SE. It won't start and I think it might have something to do with the key or the NATS system. It is not making any noise indicating it is attempting to start and in all it just seems to be in some kind of lockdown mode. I bought the car a couple of months back and it was worked fine to date and only have the master key to the Mirca.

Category: UK Nissan
Expert:  jake-lawrence replied 5 years ago.

Do you know if the car has an immoboliser?
If it does is the light on, off, or flashing?

Regards

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It has the NATS system and a Siemens immobiliser I think (according to the manual). The NATS immobiliser light does not go off when I switch the car to the on position and all I have gathered from the manuals is that this indicates some kind of problem. Anyway, I am clueless.

If the light is staying on, that would indicate that the immobilisor is not switching off when it is mean to. It is highly unadivsable to tamper with the immobiliser unless you are 100% sure of what you are doing. I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but I would advise either towing it to a reputable garage or seeing if they can pick it up because then they would be able to get into the system and find out exactly what is wrong. I hope this helped.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The problem with the Micra was the battery. I have had battery problems before (with other cars) but never was it quite dramatic as this. This appeared to fully lock down the car, the central locking would/wouldn't work and the NATS (security system) kept showing an error. Anyway, as a last resort we jump started it (connecting to another car battery) and much to our surprise it started and after driving for a bit and letting the battery charge, it was back to normal. So, basically the battery had somehow completely ran down and this was totally messing up the electronics of the car.

I thought I'd mention in case you get a similar question. I guess most people like me would read the manual and therefore think it was a NATS problem.

I appreciate you letting me know. Sorry I was unable to help. If you have any more problems, let me know and I will do what I can to help you.

Regards,