jake-lawrence
jake-lawrence, Workshop manager
Experience:  Level 3 B-tech 7-years in the trade, Bosch Service Tech & ATA certificated
21512883

hi i am having a problem with my nissan micra. It wont start

Customer Question

hi i am having a problem with my nissan micra. It wont start and i think it might have something to do with the key or the nats system. It is not making any noise indicating it is attempting to start and in all it just seems to be in some kind of lockdown mode. I bought the car a couple of months back and has worked fine to date and only have the master key to the micra and finally it is a 2003 model.
Category: UK Nissan
Expert:  jake-lawrence replied 5 years ago.
Hi there

Do you know if the car has a immoboliser?
If it does is the light on, off, or flashing?

Regards
Jake
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Jake, the car is a 2003 Micra SE. It has the NATS system and a Siemens immobiliser i think (according to the manual). The nats immobiliser light does not go off when i switch the car to the on position and all i have gathered from the manuals is that this indicates some kind of problem. Anyway i am clueless. Fyi, my number is XXXXX and i can also ring you if thats quicker/easier.

regards

Luke

Hi Luke

Phone numbers cannont be published on this site as to protect all that use it, if the light is staying on that would indicate that the immobilisor is not switching off when it is meant to, it is highly unadvisable to tamper with the immobiliser unless you are 100% sure of what you are doing, i know this is not what you want to here but it would advise either towing it to a reputable garage or seeing if the can pick it up because then they will be able to go into the system and find out what excatly is wrong. Hope this helps

Regards
Jake
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Jake, fyi the problem with the micra was battery. I have had battery problems before (with other cars) but never it was never quite as dramatic as this. This appeared to fully lock down the car, the central locking would/wouldnt work and the NATS (security system) kept showing error. Anyway as a last resort we jump started it (connecting to another car battery) and much to our surprise it started and after driving for a bit and letting the battery charge it was back to normal. So basically the battery had somehow completely run down and this was totally messing up the electronics of the car.

I thought i'd mention in case you get a similar question. I guess most people like me would read the manual and therefore think it was a nats problem.

cheers

Luke

Hi There

I appreciate you letting me know sorry i was unable to help i understand that you will not accept my answer and i am ok with that as it was not the problem i would have thought, if you have any more problems let me know and i will do what i can to help you.

Regards
Jake