Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

My brother, who pays no rent and makes no contribution to

My brother, who pays no rent and makes no contribution to the household expenses, has recently been caught stealing from my mother, whose house he is living in. This is not the first time but this is just too much for an elderly lady. She wants him to go and find somewhere of his own to live. Is it still the case that we can just give him a notice to quit with a reasonable notice period, of say one month, or has the law changed in these sorts of cases?
JA: Do you share ownership of the property? If so, is it as tenants in common, or as joint tenants?
Customer: No, it is mother's property in her sole name.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: She will not report him to the Police, but we have had to talk to the bank about the latest theft.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think there is anything else.

how old is he?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
53

She just needs to give notice in writing of no less than an 28 days.

He is not a tenants. He is not really even a lodger. He is just a guest and can be asked to leave at any time but it is always better to give notice as then you are doing more than the law requires.

If he doesn't go then she can just wait until he is out and change the locks and leave his property outside.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for confirming my initial thoughts. Most useful. I don't have anything further that I need to ask.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/