Nick H
Nick H, Solicitor
Experience:  Ten year qualified Solicitor
96516752

I'm just reading << this article on your website. I've got a

I'm just reading http://www.justanswer.com/uk-law/8jmok-registered-online-newsgroup-march-year.html << this article on your website. I've got a similar issue as the person who posted the original question
JA: Are you in the UK or are you in the States?
Customer: I'm in the UK
JA: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?
Customer: No action from my side. I should explain the issue properly
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I signed up to usenet.nl, then realised it wasn't for me. Phoned them on the 6th of Feb 2016 to cancel. I also cancelled the PayPal agreement on the same day.On 07.02.2017 they tried to bill me again. As the PayPal agreement was terminated last year, the payment failed. They then sent me an email on the 7th of Feb 2017 saying that my account (which should have been cancelled a year prior as requested) has been suspended and that I need to make a payment to resume service. I didn't. Now I'm getting letters from a German Debt collection service to recover the "debt" plus administration fees.

Hello

How much are they asking for?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi,They are asking for 69 EUR + Fees = 134.33 EUR.I don't think it's fair to have to pay for something that 1. I did not request (cancelled subscription), and 2. for something I did not want or consume and 3. a service that is pre-paid with an account the was suspended, therefore no services rendered. This is not a money issue, it's a matter of principal. And since I've cancelled the subscription over a year ago, who's to say that if I pay now, I won't be faced with the same situation next year?

Hello again

Quite agree. They will never actually chase this debt.

It will cost them far too much.