Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have a question about a tenancy agreement, i am in th eUK,

i have a question about a tenancy agreement
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: i am in th eUK
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet. I have made a formal complaint to the organisation
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes. how does the service work and how much do i have to pay?
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: ok is the lawyer uk based or elsewhere?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this,.

Could you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi Jamie, sorry for the late reply

That's ok......

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I signed a tenancy agreement in a student accommodation as i am student. In the agreement, this is what is stated
ROOM OFFER: Staff FlatHALL OF RESIDENCE: STONE FLATS ROOM NUMBER: 5FOR THE PERIOD OF: START DATE : 17/09/2016 END DATE : 24/06/2017HALL FEES FOR THE PERIOD: £2784.32PAYMENT INFORMATION CAN BE FOUND ON THE ALLOCATION NOTICE AND ENTAILS DETAILS ON BOTH THE HALL FEES AND THE DEPOSIT.
I realised that the quoted amount is only for the first term as payments are made termly.
on the individual student housing portal, there is a breakdown of the total fees as:Occupancy Period: 17/09/2016 - 24/06/2017Term: 40 Weeks Academic Year 2016-17
Finance Information
Weekly Accommodation Fee: £174.02The default payment method is offered in three installments as per the table below:TERM 1 TERM 2 TERM 3
DUE DATE 04/10/2016 09/01/2017 24/04/2017
SESSION FEE 2784.32 2610.30 1566.18I have brought this to the notice of the housing team and i asked if i am legally bound to pay the quoed amount in the tenancy agreement?I would like to know if i have a case here. Am i in the right if i refuse to pay any amount above the quoted figure in the agreement?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I should also add that after contacting the housing team via email on the 2nd of march 2017, i was promised a call back in a few days. I never received a call back from them. Today, i decided to call back to find out what was going on. I was told by a member of the team that i have to pay the full amount and that since i saw it written on my portal, it does not matter if it was quoted in the agreement or not. after all, the quoted amounted was only for the first term. Meanwhile, the stated period in the agreement is for the entire duration of the contract.

So is the figure of £2784.32 wrong?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
that figure is for the first term only
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
not the whole contract period
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Are you still there?

Yes. I have been re-reading the question. I dont quite understand what the problem is.
Could you just explain briefly to help me understand? Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
The issue here is this, according to a member of the student housing team i am bound by the whole portal not just the contract i sign therefore, i will pay the whole halls fees despite what it stated on the contract.
My question is this: Do i have a case as to refuse the claim that i am bound by the figure quoted on the portal or the amount on the contract since it states the start and end dates of the contract and then the amount for the period as written.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
It is not written anywhere in the portal about being bound by anything except the contract. This is the only thing written in the contract that makes reference to any external source
*PAYMENT INFORMATION CAN BE FOUND ON THE ALLOCATION NOTICE AND ENTAILS DETAILS ON BOTH THE HALL FEES AND THE DEPOSIT.

Yes that is correct. You are ONLY bound by the contract you signed.

Only those conditions which you were made aware of and indeed in the contract are binding.

If they wanted you bound by the portal then the contract should have made it clear.

As such you are only bound by the written document.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
This means that i am only bound by the contents of the contract and nothing else?

Correct, unless the contract says you are bound by other things.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
that means i am only entitled to pay the amount quoted on the contract?

Correct.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Important:You will need to bring proof of your signed contract either electronic or paper and proof of ID on arrival. In addition to this, you will also be asked to bring two passport sized photos.The following represents an agreement by and between the University andNAME: STUDENT ID NUMBER:HOME ADDRESS: CONTACT TELEPHONE NUMBER:COURSE: YEAR OF STUDY:and is made in relation to:ROOM OFFER:HALL OF RESIDENCE: ROOM NUMBER:FOR THE PERIOD OF: START DATE : 17/09/2016 END DATE : 24/06/2017HALL FEES FOR THE PERIOD: £2784.32PAYMENT INFORMATION CAN BE FOUND ON THE ALLOCATION NOTICE AND ENTAILS DETAILS ON BOTH THE HALL FEES AND THE DEPOSIT.The accommodation licence agreement creates a contractual relationship between the university and each resident and the obligations in the agreement are legally enforceable. This agreement operates within the terms and conditions laid out in the Halls of Residence Handbook which has been sent to you along with this contractual agreement, all which place obligations on both you and the university. You can also access the Halls of Residence Handbook on our websiteThe enclosed documents create a legally binding contract between the student and the university once the £250 deposit has been made to accept the offer of accommodation sent to you onIf you move out of your designated room before the end date you may remain liable for the hall fees unless the room is re-let by the Student Housing team (please see the: ‘Hall Fees Liability & Payments’ and ‘Withdrawal from Hall Accommodation Agreement’ sections in the Halls of Residence Handbook’).
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
That is the whole contract
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I have read the student handbook and there is no mention of anything but the guiding rules of living in the halls

You are only bound by the contract and terms you signed.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
The exact details of the offer, including the hall, accommodation
fees and occupancy periods, are detailed on the Allocation Notice with this booklet. Before you accept the offer, it is very
important that you read and understand the details of the offer, the contractual agreement terms and conditions, hall
regulations, and general information contained in this handbook.

You are bound by the contract terms, hall regulations and general information in the handbook

Assuming it says the above on the contract

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. Thank you in advance and good luck!