Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

We have been reported to the council over alleged smoke

We have been reported to the council over alleged smoke coming out of our chimney. Using approved appliance and smoke free coal. Do we have the right to know who accused us ?
JA: Are you in the UK or are you in the States?
Customer: In the UK
JA: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?
Customer: Letter stating complaint made. Follow up one asking details of burning equipment and dates times alleged offences took place. Complainant says ongoing and council state possible monitoring of situation.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Been burning solid fuel for 18 years in house. Never had complaint before.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Sadly not. This would be a breach of the Data Protection Act and as such you are not entitled to know who made the complaint.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thought that may come under Data Protection. Suspect it's a malicious complaint from ex wife of a friend we helped.
If it is malicious what can we next do? Cameron

If it malicious then you can seek a court order that the complianant Is disclosed so you can sue them for loss and damage.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
that's all. Thanks for your time.
Cameron

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. Thank you in advance and good luck!