Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

The police called at my house yesterday. They said that a

Customer Question

The police called at my house yesterday. They said that a car that was parked outside my house was damaged and that I had done it. There were 3 witnesses. The car was damaged around 4.15, it was dark. I denied the offence. I had reason to be around the car, moving my vehicle, putting bins out at this time. The officer said the damage was very superficial. I was cautioned and asked to attend my local police station next week. Do I need a solicitor? It sounds like my word against 3 what is my best course of action?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

Hi - exactly what was the damage done to the car?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The police wouldn't say just that it was very minor and could easily be removed. That made me think something non permanent had been put on the car.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I walked past the car today, it was parked in my street 100 mtrs from my house. I could see no damages at all on it. There seemed to be something like oil smeared on the windows I didn't look very hard I didn't want to accused again.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm in my 50's apart from a drink driving conviction over 30 yrs ago I have never been in trouble with the police. The only time since then I've been in a police station has been to report a crime.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't need the call just confirmation we are still conversing.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

Ok.

Why would these three witnesses say you were responsible?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The car involved moved away very shortly after I had moved my car and put my house refuse out. I assume the owner saw me around the car and associated me with the damage.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

Ok. But what about the independents?

I suppose this does depend on them actually saying that rather than the police taking their case at it's highest.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't know who the witnesses are. I'm not sure I understand your reply, sorry.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

Okay.

It sounds like it's just not really possible to tell what the quality of the evidence is at this stage.

If you didn't do this then I'm not sure what your question is about it. You can only tell the truth during the course of police interview and the truth is that you didn't commit this offence.

That may lead to you being charged and sent to court and having a trial.

It's not really possible to assess the outcome. Of course these witnesses may not be as credible and compelling as the police would have you believe. They won't have statements from them at this stage and certainly won't have shown them to you. They may say no more than that they presumed it was you because of your proximity to the car which is not adequate.

Can I clarify anything for you? If you can ask a clearer question than I might be able to offer more?

Jo