Buachaill
Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Iam a south african citizen currently on tier 4 visa

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: Iam a south african citizen currently on tier 4 visa finishing my masters. i have a 9 year old son who is a british citizen. I would like to apply for a zambrano visa. his dad lives in scotland and not lived with is since he was 6 months old. we do not have an official court order but can prove that we have lived at separate addresses
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: currently on tier 4 visa which expires end of the month no application yet
JA: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?
Customer: that i can continue to live in the UK and work
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 4 months ago.

1. Essentially, you apply for a derivative residence card. Here is a link to the UK government website which sets out the application process and the forms you need to fill in to gain the derivative residence card https://www.gov.uk/derivative-right-residence/overview. This card will allow you to both live and work in the UK without restriction. It is based on your parentage of your UK Citizen child. It is available to you as a South African national.

2. Be aware that you will need your child's Birth certificate as well as a copy of your South african passport. Fill in the application form and provide the supporting documents for your application. Be aware that you are entitled to child Benefit as a Zambrano parent of an UK citizen child.

3. Please Rate and Accept the Answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.