Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have been arrested for section 18 wounding with intent

Customer Question

I have been arrested for section 18 wounding with intent GBH. In defence of a friend I pushed over a person that was swinging punches at him and verbally making it clear he was intending to assuakt him. When I pushed the person over they banged their head on the ground and suffered a laceration that was bleeding . The initial medical was that they got released with a head dressing , no stitches were needed and there was just one cut to the head. The police arrested me for wounding with intent which seems very extreme and they are aware of my friends counter allegation against the person who began the assault on them . I have been bailed without charge pending more investigation ad would like to know how likely this is going to come to me getting charged and will the accusation drop from section 18 to ABH or even common assault ?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Was it just a cut on the head please? Did it require stitches?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was just a single cut to the head and and as far as I know didn't require stitches.

OK, then if anything it is likely to be ABH. It wont be common assault because of the injury.

But I dont think this is S.18 given the injury or lack thereof.

Given what you have said, you may also have an argument for self defence, you were protecting your friend.

You only pushed this person over to stop a fight.

So I think it would be ABH and even then you have a defence.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If I am charged with ABH what would the likely sentence be at court. I have never been in any kind of trouble before

It would likely be a Community Order or short prison sentence but if no trouble suspended.
Does that clarify?