Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I moved to America and stored all my goods 70yrs worth in

Customer Question

I moved to America and stored all my goods 70yrs worth in England. I asked them to send my goods, they say due to a clerical error they have lost all my stuff. I have paid them in full. All my worldly possessions were in there. What can I do
JA: Are you in the UK or are you in the States?
Customer: I am now in the States
JA: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?
Customer: They say they are speaking to there insurers. I cannot see insurers paying fo a clerical error. Besides which most of my stuff is irreplaceable and I put my trust in them.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What else can I tell you except all my worldly goods have gone a lifetimes worth
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

How were they actually lost due to this clerical error? What happened to them?

Please note I am not able to reply fully until later today and will do so on here thanks

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience. First of all it is possible that their insurance will cover this as this most likely will amount to negligence on their part and that is what insurance will cover. In any event, the insurance is just there to ensure you get compensated. Even if they do not pay out, the storage company will still be liable so they can be pursued directly.

In terms of your legal rights, as mentioned this will most likely amount to negligence so you can consider seeking compensation for the value of the lost goods. The issue is that many of these will have sentimental value rather than just financial one. It would be very difficult to measure the value of sentiment and compensate you for that so you may find that in most circumstances the courts only compensate someone for the actual financial value, even if there was sentiment attached to the lost item. So whilst it would be possible to consider taking legal action against them for negligence and seek compensation for the value of the lost items, be mindful that it is unlikely to reflect the sentimental value you may have had or expected from a settlement.

Also see what happens with the insurance cover and whether they are able to resolve this. Only if that is not possible and the company does not take steps to resolve that themselves should you be considering legal action for compensation.

Please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss the steps you need to take to pursue thie further. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Hello, my response should be visible on this page. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.