Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I recorded a face to face conversation with my son,s teacher

Customer Question

For Ben jones I recorded a face to face conversation with my son,s teacher without telling her as she l
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Uk england
JA: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?
Customer: No action.i recorded just to remind myself what we talked about . Now she says I was aggressive and the recording shows I was not. Can I use it to sue her
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 27 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 27 days ago.

What are you going to sue her for?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Can you please call me .i do not want this done online.you may send a contact number to my email
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Can I use recording to prove I did not do this to other schools
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 26 days ago.

So you are not planning on suing her for anything?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 26 days ago.

Hi, I have not heard back from you so will answer based on the information provided so far and assuming you are not going to sue this person.

If you simply wish to know whether you can use the recording to prove to others that you did not do what she is accusing you to have done, then yes that is indeed possible. Secret recordings are generally regulated when a business makes them, but in a private conversation there is no legal right to privacy as such so you could have made the recording.

Strictly speaking if you were to then play that recording to a third party you would need her consent but if you did not obtain such consent, it is not easy for her to do anything about that. She cannot just sue you herself simply because you have played the recording without asking her. The only time she can potentially do something if as a result of the recording she suffers losses but that is unlikely here. So the risks are very low on the whole.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
The school is a business. Does it make a difference
Second can I sue for defamation as what she says is alie and I can prove it. I might need to do this as the lie is now being passed onto other schools who are then reluctant to accept our application for admission.it is a very serious problem. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 26 days ago.

No, it is if you were a business and recording conversations, which is not the case. I can discuss defamation with you in more detail if needed.

For now please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you and can continue as discussed. Thanks

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 24 days ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 22 days ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.