Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have conditional discharge fr 2 years it was in 1992, for

Customer Question

I have conditional discharge fr 2 years it was in 1992, for theft then 1993 for theft susp 2years and 1998 condtional discharge. I had fallen into very bad company growing up, but I'm a grown woman now ive a degree and I am doing extremely well but I canot better myself because of thee constantly showing up even though its 20years ago
JA: Are you in the UK or are you in the States?
Customer: uk northern Ireland I work as assistant manager for domilcary company my director has been requesting me to take service manager position, I don't think he knows this is on my police check as he only took the company over 3 years ago, I'm totally distracted not sleeping I just don't no what to do
JA: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?
Customer: can I get this removed from my access ni
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
will I be waiting long
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

What level of checking are you facing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
enhanced
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
can u tell me will I be waiting on answer long
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
will I much longer on reply
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

The reason you are experiencing delay is that you keep posting before I have responded which pushes the question to the back of my list.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

Are you asking if you can remove this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am looking some advice urgently
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
don't want a phone call as I can tout my full mobile number in
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

Yes, so what is your question about this please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I put my question in regarding convictions on my police check can you help me on this
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

Yes, but I need to know what your question is?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a conditional discharge on my police check going back till 1992 for theft and in 1993 susp 2years for theft, also 1998 conditional discharge, I fell into very bad company growing up, but I'm a grow woman and have now got a degree but I find this is effecting my future can I get these taken off as its so long ago. in work as assistant manager and my director is looking me to become service manager unsure that he knows thisis on my police check as he just took over 3 years ago, I'm very concerned and distracted about this
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

This would be long since spent. It would not show on basic or standard now.

However, it will be eligible to show on enhanced checking.

You can always ask the police to not disclose it on the basis that it is not relevant but the reality is that is a high test and they are rarely willing to take the risk.

you can always judicially review the decision to refuse but against that is a high test. It is fair to say that there is more success than there ever used to be but it is still fairly rare.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
can u advise me should I go to a solicitor, the police have said there is a part on the access ni where you can ask for this to be removed, should I get t a solicitor, I am not sleeping its really affecting me, can you advise do you think that this can be removed
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
could you also explain what is meant by a high test and explain to me what judicially review
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

If you are going to do that then you should probably secure representation but you should understand there will be a cost with a fairly low chance of success.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you so much I really appreciated your help
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
if their spent and its so long why will they not be removed or even some of them so it doesn't look so bad,
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
can u recommend any lawyer or solicitor that could help me with this please in northern ireland
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

It isn't whether they are spent or not.

It is whether they are deemed relevant to the application you are making.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you, ***** ***** this mean my application as my job role
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

Yes, the application that you make will determine whether this is deemed relevant.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do u know any good solicitor or lawyer that I could attend to help we with this??
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

Most criminal firms would be able to help with this but you should be aware there is no legal aid and the chances of success are fairly low.

It might be worth taking action. It might pay off.