Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I have to go to the DWP (Housing Benefit) today and give

Customer Question

Hi,I have to go to the DWP (Housing Benefit) today and give them 2 months bank statements because i missed a signing date. I have approximately £2500 in undeclared savings. I am worried I am going to end up being accused of fraud even though this is under the threshold where benefits are affected. If they want to look back over the history of the account I may be in further trouble because at one point I had considerably more in the account (approximately £11000) although a lot of this was used fairly quickly to pay debts etc...Stupid mistake, I should have just declared the savings to the DWP. Worried about what is going to happen next. Interview under caution perhaps? Wondering if pleading ignorance and offering to repay any over-payments is the best strategy?
JA: Have any charges been filed in this matter?
Customer: No
JA: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?
Customer: No action has been taken so far. I hope they let me repay any over payments and that it does not affect my housing benefit. i.e ending up homeless..
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I think that's about it...
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Just to be clear at no point did they ever exceed £16,000?