Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice

My questions is nth legal but educational. I am charged by

Customer Question

Hi, my questions is nth legal but educational. I am charged by the university panel for not referencing my dissertation properly, they are able to find some citiations which can not be found in the reference list. I admited that i am too rush to hand in so i only made around 40 but still missed many. All of them are read by me, just got no time to find them back and put them in the list. Apart from admitting that i am too rush and missed them, are there any point of defences or plea I can submit? At least to convince the panel it is not an intentional academic misconduct but just some careless inadquate referencing?
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 13 days ago.

Can you please explain exactly what it is that you have not done or what it is that you are supposed to have done? It isn’t clear from your question.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
i suppose to write like (stuart, 2016) behind the quote and then the information of this source in the reference list. Yet since I am too rush, some of the citations I used did not included in the reference list. The school did found out what are those sources i missed exactly and I am asking what can be the reason for me to plea.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 13 days ago.

I’m sorry, I don’t know what you mean.

Do you mean that the references throughout the document were not included in the list at the end or the bottom of the page even though the references were correct?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
the citation is correct, just not include in the list.What i mean is I do not include all the in-text citation information in the reference list. What we have to do is when we quote sth, we need to add the in-text citation like who in which year write it behind the sentence, and then in the reference list at the end of the dissertation, we need to say where these text come from, like the link to this journal etc. as i don't have enough time, there are some in-text citation i forgot to mention again in the reference list, and the school found it. I was thinking like are there any plea reason which i can say other than just careless?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 13 days ago.

As you appreciate, I have done a dissertation myself and know how the references work. You insert the little number the point in the text and then the footnote and then, at the end, there is a glossary of all the references.

I am not certain whether you put the numbers in the text and didn’t put the list or whether you put the list but didn’t put the numbers in the text.

Regardless, you have followed the guidelines and hence, it is likely you will fail and have to do this again.

Not having enough time I am afraid is not a valid excuse because you are expected to make time and if there was not enough time, everyone else would be in the same situation.

You may have grounds for appeal if you have a disability which is a recognised disability which would mean that you were not capable of doing this. Otherwise, there is probably very little point in appealing the University’s decision. Sorry