Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

I have just recently started a business in the UK selling

Customer Question

Hi I have just recently started a business in the UK selling Mirrors
A direct rival has contacted me with the message below regarding their copyright . Their company is called Powerful Vision Ltd and their site selling the mirrors is
We get our mirrors from the same factory as them in China who have said they don't have any patent or design rights on them and they also supply 2 other sellers worldwide with these mirrors also.
Do I have anything to worry about? all I can see is that they have a registered trademark "Diamond X" which we do not use at all. Please see their message below I received this morning after they purchased from us and I cancelled their order as I realise they were a rival.
"Hi Adam,
I am very well thank you
Our legal team will be in touch soon, after we get eyeballs on the products you are selling.
We can't yet make a judgement call as we need to check the physical products for possible major design right infringements of original designs we created over 5 years ago and of course (as you will be extremely aware) we still sell!
Not to mention some image copyright issues, and Trade Mark issue.
We will know more when we get products here and taken apart and examined before we can decide next steps.
A block on today's totally transparent orders from us obviously raises suspicions and has been duly logged!
We will order incognito when we need to which is a shame but clearly is our only clear course of action left.
Will be in touch,
Kind regards Jamie"
Please let me know your thoughts. Regards Adam
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 month ago.

Hi Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Do they have a trade mark for "Hollywood Mirrors"? The word Hollywood Mirrors would not be protected by copyright. Is there any risk that your customers would automatically assume that a "Hollywood Mirror" originated from this competitor? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi thank you the trademark " Hollywood Mirrors" is owned by another company Hunki Dori Ltd who I contacted before I started I have permission to use this term. Also the company I purchased the domain had been using it for 8 years before the trademark had been purchased in 2014.It is more Powerful Vision Ltd Complaint I am more worried about in terms of teh Design and IP of the mirrors as they have been selling them 5 years and I have just started and they are identical and come out of the same factory, they have no branding on them.Thank you for your help. Regards Adam
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, Thank you. You both purchase the mirror from the same supplier - did the supplier come up with the design of the mirror? Kind regards AJ