Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I'm interested to know what you can do with a piece of

Customer Question

I'm interested to know what you can do with a piece of unclassified land? Can you put a shed on it?
JA: Are you in the UK or are you in the States?
Customer: UK
JA: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?
Customer: None.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: How much is it?
JA: It's only $5.
Customer: OK.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first

Could you explain a little more about the position please

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry but I think I might need a solicitor who knows about land issues???
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have bought 0.6 acre plot, it is in a conservation area. It is bordered on two sides by fields but on the other are the gardens of 8 neighbours. the local council have it registered as 'unclassified' land. They're view is very confusing, on the one hand suggesting it could be 'agricultural' but it would have no permitted development rights as it is so small! I would just like to put a large shed on it and my plan would be to hold charity picnics and just enjoy the space. How can they dictate what I can have when there is no stiplulated land usage? They have even suggested that a shed (as it would not move) would be deemed a 'permanent structure' (!) Which is at odds with everything I have read online.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I should mention that it is mostly bramble, nettles, field grass and some beautiful 30ft ash trees, field maple and three large apple trees. It has been unloved for 30yrs so I need a shed to house a petrol mower and strimmer so that I can rejuvenate it and do regular maintenance.
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

For clarity then - it is a planning issue?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well I guess so, all I want to do is find out if I can put a shed on a piece of land that the council says is 'unclassified.' And to confirm, that a shed does not need planning permission, as it is classed as a temporary structure, ie. it has no foundations and can be moved. (I do not want to go down the route of fitting a shed to a chassis in order to prove that it is not fixed!)