Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I am ins dispute with a property management company which is

Customer Question

I am ins dispute with a property management company which is refusing to provide evidence of the reserve fund.
The company has recently filed dormant accounts instead of the normal abbreviated accounts, thus hiding the reserve account balance from the public. The accounts submitted to members were detailed trading accounts showing the normal income and expenditure. These were submitted for approval at the AGM which did not take place.
In any event, the dormant accounts were filed prior to the AGM.
What action can I take about this?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 2 months ago.

Are you a residential or commercial tenant?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
A residential tenant. My property is a buy to let flat in a development of twenty units. Each leaseholder is a member and shareholder of the management company, Eton Court (Harrogate) Management Company Limited. This is not an RTM company but one that was initially set up by the developer. The current managing agent is also the company secretary and is a corporate entity: LFLGB Limited. The sole director of LFLGB was once a director of the management company but resigned when he sold his property. Daily control of the company remains with him and I cannot get any comment from the remaing directors on the reason for filing dormant accounts for a period which was certainly not dormant. The company secretary refuses to explain why the balance sheet created for the members has not been filed at Comanies House. It always has in previous years and the company has never been declared as dormant until now. The shareholders have been given no explanation for the sudden dormant filing and I am being told that I do not understand the law. I have asked for proof of funds in the reserve account (over £60,000) but my requests have been refused. Something very odd is going on.