Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

I was arrested and charged with theft from my employer of a

Customer Question

I was arrested and charged with theft from my employer of a mobile phone worth in the region of 500 pounds.
I sold the phone for money, I have a very bad gambling addiction and I wasn't in my right mind when I took the phone. I have built up debt of around 10 thousand pounds from loans and gambling. This is my first offence, I have no criminal past. I admitted everything to the police officers. I will accept whatever punishment comes my way, but I would like to know what that is likely to be.
Can you advise? Thank you
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this.

The sooner you repay the money, the better.

You are likely to get community service and a few hundred pounds fine and order to repay.

You will get a one third reduction for anearly guilty plea.

If you are thinking that you would go to prison, will not.

It would also help if you admitted the gambling addiction to the court and were already undertaking therapy for that.

Does that answer the question? Can I answer any specific points arising from this?

Please do not forget to use the rating service to rate my answer positively. If you don’t rate it positively, I don’t get paid.

You may get the impression the thread closes after rating, but it does not, it remains open and we can still exchange emails if anything needs clarification.

Kind regards.

Stuart.