Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

Ihave a pkg waiting at Heathrow airport, waiting to go

Customer Question

Ihave a pkg waiting at Heathrow airport, waiting to go through customs, Barwil Agency, are the custodian of the Package. Customs in UK are requesting a $1250 for a YELLOW TAG. THE BOXES WILL BE DELIVERED TO ME IN CALGARY, BY DIPLOMATIC COURIER. Money is to be sent via Western Union to Cameron McKend ,Houston Texas (address:*****, zip 75099 USA. Is this a scam.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

How did you end up with this package waiting for you, where did you first hear from these people?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

This is absolutely a scam. Such types of scams, known as ‘advance-fee fraud’ are unfortunately extremely common these days and many unsuspecting people fall for them.

The best way to spot these is by identifying specific 'red flags' that are often present in the build-up to the scam. I have seen practically the same facts as in your case being used numerous times in the past. The following are the most common ones and if they sound familiar then you can almost guarantee you are involved in a scam:
• Someone contacts you and promises you a large sum of money or other thongs like valuable packages. You are unlikely to have ever heard of or been involved with the persons/organizations concerned.
• Before you are able to receive the promised amount, you are asked to pay a sum of money for various reasons, usually as clearance fees, administrative costs, taxes, etc. This is the advance-fee part of the scam. This whole yellow tag business is completely made up
• Tempted by the potential return, you pay the money in good faith. The usual request is for it to be sent via Western Union, Moneygram, prepaid cards, etc. These are the favoured payment methods used by fraudsters as it is extremely difficult to trace them that way and you also get no fraud protection.
• Once the money has been sent, the fraudster either stops all contact and the promised money/package never materializes, or they return and ask for further payments due to new unsuspected issues.

DO NOT proceed any further with this. DO NOT send any information and certainly do not send money if asked to. Cease all contact with the other party and do not communicate any further with them.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.