Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

I used my Barclaycard to pay for some legal services that I

I used my Barclaycard to pay for some legal services that I decided the same day were not required, as I felt that the company providing them were unsatisfactory as they were based in Cyprus and were unable to provide the promised draft of what we had decided verbally to carry out. This involved authorising Barclaycard to make payment in advance of £25,000 to recover some monies >250,000. which were also abroad, I decided not to proceed. This condition was referenced in the covering letter authorising the payments The company was based in Cyprus.
I contacted Barclaycard in order to stop the payments. BC confirmed that the items were still pending, and some of them had been stopped by their credit limit checks.
BC indicated that they would do this and that they would stop the card to prevent and future transactions being made by this company (Who are based in Cyprus.)
For three weeks this looked as expected with the card stopped an no transactions by the company on the card. Then yesterday i noted that although the card had remained stopped all the original transactions had been reinstated.
Barclaycard informed me that as I had given authorisation for the original transactions they were unable to stop payment.
What protection can I expect from Barclaycard.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

What has the company in Cyprus said regarding these transactions?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
they have indicated verbally (never in writing) that they have recovered some monies already ( 41k USD), (without my authorisation), and that it is not possible to turn back the clock. They are only willing to send me the 41k usd if I pay a further 9,000 usd to them for the balance of the legal fees, . These legal fees come to 40k usd which were only partly covered by the Barclaycard bill..
They say they cannot used the recovered money to offet the outstanding bill and just psay me the balance also unwilling to use the regretably they are most unwilling to put anything on record whether it be by skype or email.

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
correction of last para above They say they cannot used the recovered money to offet the outstanding bill and just pay me the balance,...they are also most unwilling to put anything on record whether it be by skype or email.

Thank you for letting me know. I will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. Many thanks

I have looked into your query in more detail but unfortunately it is not something I can assist with. I will therefore ‘opt out’ and a colleague better placed to deal with the nature of your query should hopefully pick this up soon. Please do not reply in the meantime as that will just assign the question back to me and you will experience a delay. Thank you

I see the previous expert has opted out. I will try to help you.

Credit card companies amaze me. If the payment hasn’t been made, of course they can stop it. They are quick enough to retract payments when someone goes over their credit limit.

You can either sue Barclaycard which is going to be lengthy risky and expensive or make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

However, before doing that, can you let me have some details of exactly what it is that the company in Cyprus were doing for you and in respect of what? It’s just that this has the flavour of a scam because there is no reason why, if they have already recovered $41,000, they cannot simply send you back $32,000 to keep their $9000 legal fees.

It’s also worrying that they will not commit anything to writing. What you need to do is report the matter to the police/action fraud as a fraudulent transaction. Then, report the matter to Barclaycard as goods/services not received and if they still will not put the money back into your account, then complain to the Financial Ombudsman.

While this is in dispute, they should suspend interest and repayments.

Does that answer the question? Can I answer any specific points arising from this?

Please do not forget to use the rating service to rate my answer positively. If you don’t rate it positively, I don’t get paid for my time.

You may get the impression that the thread closes after rating, but it does not, it remains open and we can still exchange emails if anything needs clarification.

Kind regards.

Stuart.

PS When you call Barclaycard, tell them that you are making a Consumer Credit Act section 75 claim. That section of the Act puts liability onto the credit card company along with the merchant.

Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
There has been an interesting development in this case. When visa-BC posted the disputed charge to my account a minimum of 1 weeK later it appears on my statement ass if it had been posted correctly on original date of the transaction. As a result when I contact vISA VC nobody can understand my concern as Visa BC have not admitted to any delay. Unfortunately i did not think to take a screen capture of my Visa BC statement as U did not think this could hppen. What can I do to get VISA BC to release this info,.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Rather than go over old ground which may not be relevant i have opened up a new question and will try to get the admin to close this supplementary question down,