Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

A private school in liquidation is chasing me for one term

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hi. What do you want help with?
Customer: A private school in liquidation is chasing me for one term schools fees from two years ago. I am looking for advice on moving forward. There are reasons why i feel that these fees should be negated, but not sure whether i should put them in writing to the Liquidator, or what rights the liquidator has
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: UK
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I looked to take my children out of the school some seven years ago because as a single parent i was struggling with the fees. The headmaster then said he didn't want to lose my kids because my eldest was a 99th percentile child, and they agreed a bursary. 3 years in they then told me I had to start applying for it, adn kids from my childrens class then became govenors and directors, and would see my bursary form, it got very messy, so i went back to struggling to pay full fees. My eldest son was in his last year of school (year 8), having been there ten years and due to graduate to a private grammar school which he was expectd to get a full scholarship for. The Grammar school had agreed the place after 11+ tests and held the place for him for two years. I was self employed and my fees were always cleared eveymonth but sporadic. In the spring term of his last year and just before the common entrance exams my payments from the company i did work with were slow in being paid, but before the end of that term, the new headmaster called me into the office and dismissed my children, on the spot. My oldest had one term left to go. consequently my oldest still tried to sit the common entrance exams, but we found out later that the school had never provided a Headmasters academic report on my son, so despite the fact that he passed the interview and exams, without a report from the headmaster which should have been done before the Christmas, the application would fail. The stress and worry caused me to loose my job and months later be diagnosed with Depression. I am now just getting back on my feet and have received a letter threatening court action, but my feeling is they failed in their duty of care to my children, in the head letter, in the fact that they had charitable status, in the fact that my payments would have been bought up to date, in the affect it had on my youngest who was only ten and suddenly told one morning, you no longer go to your school. Not sure what to do.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: What happens now?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 3 months ago.

Let me see if I can help and please rate positive.

If you have a dispute as to the sums claimed then you should act almost as if the liquidator is the private school. So do set out in detail as to why you say the money is no longer owed - the breach of contract.

I see you have not rated yet. Is there any other questions that I can help you with?

I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you