Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

I was assaulted almost 3 years ago by a work colleague he

Customer Question

i was assaulted almost 3 years ago by a work colleague he was found guilty of aggravated assault and fined, can i take a private prosecution for the scar on my lip left after the attack with pain and suffering ?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 3 months ago.

Let me see if I can help and please rate positive.

Yes you can. But you only have three years to commence proceedings from the date of the incident and as such you need to get going. I would suggest that you get some no win no fee solicitors to commence proceedings straight away. The fact that he was prosecuted and found guilty makes your claim very strong. Please rate positive.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i have contacted Thompson solicitors and they were not willing to take on the case as they say the award may not meet their Fee's, im not sure who to contact with now!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have contacted Thompson solicitors and they were not willing to take on the case as they say the award may not meet their Fee's, im not sure who to contact with now!sorry not sure if you got this question as my lap top froze !
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can i get a extension for my case if i file within the 3 years?can i also claim for facial surgery costs of repairs to my scared upper lip caused by the attack/ pain and Suffering along with lawyers fee's ?

I see. You need to issue within the 3 years - you could do it yourself if you can not find a solicitor. You can seek surgery costs and pain and suffering together with your fees. Happy to discuss further but please rate positive.

I see you have not rated yet. Is there any other questions that I can help you with?

I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Sorry for the delay.

I'm afraid the answer above is incorrect.

You asked about taking out a private prosecution not about suing for personal injury.

In fact, to do so the time limit would be six months from the date of the incident and there are no solicitors that will act upon a no win no fee basis. You will be fully responsible for costs.

Even if you are considering a personal injury claim, a no win no fee firm will not accept this case unless your injuries are over a certain value which is fairly high now.

Sorry if that is bad news but you need to have truthful information.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

My colleague is wrong in his advice. This is quite common in litigation and I think he is talking about a criminal case. You are as I understand it seeking compensation (hence your answers) and as such you have three years to bring a claim in the county court. As such my answer remains correct. I would be delighted to answer any questions arising.