Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

An allegation of assaultl has been made against, and

Customer Question

An allegation of assaultl has been made against , and requested by the police to come for an interview at the police station. What is the best course of action.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: This in the UK
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No not yet
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Other than the fact that I did take any violent action against the person accept speak to him in a loud/raised voice
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

Are you asking if you can avoid attending?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am asking, how I should handle the interview, as I do not know of what the exact nature of the claim, such as is there a claim of bodily harm???
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
For sure I will need to attend the interview or I will be arrested and taken for an interview
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

What is your defence?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would like to be able to arrange a call with you once I have a date arranged for the interview.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
But for now I just need some guidance in of how to handle the interview, plus can I have your email contact so that we arrange a call at later date
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

I can't give you an email address as the site prohibits it but you can always post back on here.

I'm not sure what you mean by handle the interview?

It depends on a large number of variables that aren't really for you to decide. Just have the solicitor you will be offered and they will tell you whether it is going to be a comment or not comment interview.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

Without knowing the strength of the allegation or the nature of your defence it is not possible to say.

Generally speaking, you should be commenting in interview if you have a credible innocent account but there are lots of exceptions to that.