Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Jo My nephews were arrested for selling cocaine to

Customer Question

Hi Jo
My nephews were arrested for selling cocaine to undercover police on multiple occasions.
One is 17 (18 at the end of August) and the other is 18. The one trouble they were in before were both for possession of cannabis when they were both 17. The hearing is scheduled for September 12th so both will be 18 by that date.
The police searched my sisters house and found no cocaine but did find 3 small bags of cannabis in one of the boys rooms.
They have phone records/video and audio of the transactions and also 700 pounds in cash from the search.
I am wondering what sort of sentence they could get. We are seeking legal consultation at the end of next week but i am obvious worried for them and wanted to get a idea of what we are looking at.
Thanks
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

What did they get for the cannabis matter?

Was that simple possession?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He got caught with 1 small bag and was warned only
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

The problem with this is that this is street dealing and so falls automatically into category three.

If these were TPO officers then they may even be saying it is more serious than that.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Usually the Court says that any street dealing is significant role and falls within category three and, of course, cocaine is a class A drug.

That would mean the starting point is four and a half years I'm afraid.

If you can get the Judge to reduce it to category four the starting point would be three and a half.

The fact that they are very young and one was a youth at the time of the offending would lead to a slight reduction but not enough to avoid custody I'm afraid.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

There would be a reduction for a guilty plea however of one third if the plea is entered early.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

I'm very sorry but PWITs class A attracts high sentences.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo