Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

I have recently flown with easy jet, where I received

Customer Question

I have recently flown with easy jet, where I received discrimination from a checkin officers who would not let me board the flight. I had to book a new flight in order to fly to the UK. This happen in May. I filled out a complaint form in the airport and sent email to easy jet. It is now August and easy jet keep making excuses and have not look at my complaint. I am out of pocket for the flights as well as racist attendant who would not let me board my flight from Spain to the UK.... I want to sue easy jet as they said i would hear back from them within two weeks that was in May. Is this possible for me to do?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Flew from Spain to the UK
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

What reason was provided for not allowing you to board the plane?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Bag was to big
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He then said, people like you always try to get away things. This is all in context as, everyone had more than one bag and nothing was mention or said. I was the last to board

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court today for the rest of today so will prepare my advice in a while and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Thanks for your patience. Whilst you have made a complaint directly with Easyjet, you cannot force them to resolve that within a specific time or to your satisfaction. So if you are not happy with the way the complaint has been dealt with them you have the following options:

· You can make a complaint to the Civil Aviation Authority who are the airline’s regulator (

· You can make a claim in the county court

However note that if you are going to make a claim in court you will have to prove that you were indeed discriminated because of your race. Just because they said ‘people like you’ does not automatically mean that they were referring to your race. Also if they can show that someone of the same or other minority race was allowed through then you cannot say that you were treated in this was because of race because others were not. So some evidence that race was a motive behind their actions will be needed. But you are able to make a claim of course, I do suggest you try to resolve it with them directly first though before you opt for legal action.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you need to follow if you wish to make a claim, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for the response.. I gave you the brief version and in fact. He felt the need the need to show me other people from ethnic minorities after he refused to let me on the flight. My skin colour was mention I was treated as a second class citizen and I was the only person of colour on the flight from what I seen.. the intent was there but understand I have to prove it. Either way he will never say this. He also gave me the complaint form and told me to fill it out. I was told by colleagues if I fill this form out it goes to him as he is the manager.. if I was not told this I would of filed a complaint and person reviewing would of been him.I'm not sure how to go about this situation