Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
13262538

Need to know if a IMF clearance and tax certificate is

Customer Question

Need to know if a IMF clearance and tax certificate is needed i Uk for bank to bank transfers So from UK to US, trying to determine if my friend is scamming me
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in Ohio, US
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no, i just received the email yesterday from my friend, trying to determine if its a scam
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Just that I have a friend, or boyfriend working in turkey, and h set it up through a lawyer to have his contract changed or me to be the beneficiary of his fial demobilization payment, and when the bank to bank transfer supposedly happened, a stop order was placed on it by the Uk narcotics division for antidrug, mondey laundering, and terroist He is now saying he needs money for this IMF certificae for money to be transferred, is this needed
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
typos, sorry..Just that I have a friend, or boyfriend working in turkey, and he set it up through a lawyer to have his contract changed for me to be the beneficiary of his final demobilization payment, and when the bank to bank transfer supposedly happened, a stop order was placed on it by the Uk narcotics London division for anti-drug, anti money laundering, and anti terrorist division. He is now saying he needs money for a IMF clearance and tax certificate for money to be transferred, is this needed? He says its needed to transfer the money from Scotland to US, ibecause it is the sum of 500K, and the certificate cost 3%, total of 15K
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He says he spoke to the director of IMF, and this is valid, just worried its a scam, bc we met thru match.com, 4 months ago, and haven't met. He also saw a lawyer to change the contract for me to be the beneficiary of this final payment, and I had to sign the contract for it to be legal. The contract was sent to me thru email, and I had to sign, print, and scan it back to him, which he presented to his lawyer. So it is a long complicated story, and a lot of trouble for him to go to, if its a scam, but I need help in knowing the IMF legal system in UK, to know if this is true
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Attached are the lawyer agreement contract and stop order sent by him to me
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

I am afraid that your reservations are real - this is a scam and the documents that he has produces and the things that he is saying to you are none sense

The IMF deals with countries and not people and have no involvement whatsoever with individuals and their finances/

The documents are simply fake - and bear no resemblance to reality at all

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
to confirm I understand you, you are saying that the Narcotics division of London would not have investigated and requested and IMF clearance and tax certificate for the money to be bank to bank transferred from UK to the US? Regardless of whether it is a contract payment, etc
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

There is no Narcotics Division - the letter is a bizarre fraud; there is no such thing as IMF clearance or a Tax Certificate and there is no reason why any authority would get involved in what is a routine transaction

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is it possible he is being scammed himself, or is he definitely the scammer himself?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
s it possible he is being scammed himself, or is he definitely the scammer?
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

I cannot be certain - but I fear that he is part of the scam