Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice

I have been a car trader for a couple of years, and lease

Customer Question

Hello, I have been a car trader for a couple of years, and lease premises with a shared yard in Leicester. I have been a lease holder for 20 years and understood the yard to be private premises. A company called NSL have been in to the yard and clamped about 10 vehicles, and demanded payments of £100 within 24 hours because the vehicles are not on SORN. as I understand it on form V890 it states that traders do not have to SORN their cars. Have I broken the law. ***** *****on.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: Car is accident damaged awaiting repair, and is registered 01/ 09/2005.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, this action occurred yesterday, and I have only just found out today.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Yes the land owners agent put a notice on the car a week ago giving untill the end of August to remove it from unallocated parking space.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 2 months ago.

Your understanding is correct provided the following apply that you will read here

provided all that is satisfied, you should get hold of the DVLA immediately.

There is also a telephone number where you can make a complaint to NSL 0800(###) ###-####

According to the press, these kind of errors are not unknown.

However it doesn’t give you the right to keep these vehicles on the road or anywhere which is not Private or to which the public don’t have reasonable access

That would include pub car parks and car parks on industrial estates and supermarkets. If you left a vehicle there under these circumstances, even though its private land, you would get clamped if it comes to DVLA attention.