Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

My father is 89 years old and has obtained citizenship

Customer Question

My father is 89 years old and has obtained citizenship within the U.K. and also holds a U.K. passport. He owns a boarding house over there and has paid taxes for the past 2o plus years. He is self sufficient but is old and requires me to come home for compassionate care.
My daughter is 25 years old, attended University there and now holds a job a a community college as a science teacher. She now owns a house and is engaged to a U.K. citizen. She does hold an Italian passport as well as a U.S. one.
I am attempting to get into the country to assist my father and run the boarding house. I am a Registered Nurse. However, I am still requiring additional nursing classes, which I am currently taking.
My question is if my father can prove that I will not require any financial assistance can I move there and take care of him?
Thank you for your time.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 months ago.

Hi

Do you also hold Italian citizenship?

Tom

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, my grand father naturalized in 1925, 2 years before my father was born.We have a 12 bedroom building there and I do not have to work.
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 months ago.

Okay.

Do you have fund to invest in the boarding house or are you simply hoping to come here to take care of your father?

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 months ago.

Hi

I cannot have a telephone call I'm afraid. Please reply to my most recent post and I shall answer..

Tom

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No funds, I need to go home to take care of my father and I am want to remain there and then run the boarding house.
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 months ago.

Thanks. Drafting your answer now. It's not great news I'm afraid.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If you could tell me what it would ultimately take for me to gain entry and remain, I would greatly appreciate it.
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 months ago.

Hi

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

Unfortunately, there is no visas which allows children of parents to come to the UK to care for their parents. This is completely regrettable in my view, but there is simply no visa offered in these circumstances.

So, the only conceivable options for you are as follows:

{C}1. Consider applying for under the Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Workers Visa provisions on the basis that you would be an employee of the boarding house.

The boarding house would have to apply to become a licensed sponsor licensed to sponsor tier 2 migrants and then offer you a job, but they would show to the home office that they have carried out a the Resident Labour Market Test. This test is effectively to show that their are no resident/eea national in the locality that can perform your role (if there are people already in the UK who would do the job then you a cannot apply for this visa.

You would also have to meet the eligibility criteria: https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/eligibility

Additionally, if the home office considered that the true purpose behind this was to come and care for your father then they would likely refuse the application.

{C}2. The second option would be to apply for a long-term multi entry visit visa. This is like any other visit visa but it is granted over a 1, 2, 5 or 10 year period and would allow you to enter/leave/enter the UK as many times as you like and you could provide help to your father (though not employment). However, you would not be allowed to stay in the UK more than 6 months in any 12 month period

I am sorry that the options are so thin…

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 months ago.

Hi

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom