Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience

UK Rights on children's email accounts that are set up by a

Customer Question

Rights on children's email accounts that are set up by a parent.I have a strange question here. It's a bit difficult and surreal.Two years ago, when our daughter was born, her father created an account for her, where we could send her pictures and messages from us to her.The idea was that he would disclose this account to her when she grew up so that she could see all the pictures and emails we have been taking and sending her during her early years. He created the account with her details and name, middle name and surname as her address.I have only sent her a few emails and pictures because I was with her 24/7 and never had much time for sending much stuff, however I do send some very loving emails, when I have the chance.Now my husband and I are separated and in the process of a difficult divorce, and he is very angry at the moment. So he has asked me to stop sending emails to my daughter to that email account, and to open a different account for her if I want to continue to write to her, because he wants that account to be his and hers only.In one hand I don't really mind to do that, as I find the whole thing ver irrational, but on the other hand isn't it her account? Shouldn't she have rights to receive emails from anybody?
I would prefer that she had an account where both her parents chip in with messages, rather than having two, which will give her the message that we couldn't even manage to share an internet account with her!It sounds controlling and scary in my opinion, that he could actually open an account in the name of our child and that he has ownership and decisions on it.Any advice and opinion on this, would be great.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

Your daughter is too young to enter into any contracts or agreements and as such the email account that was set up belongs to the person who set it up - your ex.

There is no "human right"to have access to an email account - nor to have the one that bears your name.

On a more positive note as the years pass your ex may well mellow (it happens) and any emails can be forwarded on if he he agrees to achieve the one account that was planned.

I am sorry not to give a more acceptable answer but it is important that I am honest with you

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you,
He has agreed that I send her a last goodbye message.
Meanwhile I'll keep any messages in a folder and I'll forward them to her once she is on hold of the account.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 months ago.

I see you have been waiting a while for a response.

I think it is an excellent idea to maintain the email account and maintain a folder for her which you can share with her when you are older. There is an excellent book which gives more guidance about these type of disputes on amazon -

I hope that this helps

Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

My apologies for the delay - Saturday is volunteering day!

I am glad that you have worked out a compromise - as I said with the passage of time things may improve