Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice

My wife and I are relocating from UK to Dubai as expats and

Customer Question

My wife and I are relocating from UK to Dubai as expats and have two big contracts remaining, which we can't use abroad, costing us a lot. One is our EE contract for £35/month each until Nov '17 and the other is a car lease for nearly £300/ month until August 2018! Any way I can get out of these?
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Think I may need a legal category rather than smartphones?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately, moving abroad is not sufficient reason to get out of the contracts.

For practical purposes, the lenders might not want to follow you or take proceedings in Dubai but if ever come back, they could decide to pursue you for the balance outstanding. There is an arrangement whereby they could get a judgement in the UK court which they would get in default if you did not defend any action they brought and they could then enforce that debt in Dubai.

The best thing you can do therefore is explain the circumstances and ask them to come to a financial arrangement whereby you pay them a partial lump sum and walk away. If they don’t do that, and you simply walk away, you potentially face the legal proceedings I mentioned in the first paragraph.

Does that answer the question?

Can I answer any specific points arising from this?

Please don’t forget to use the rating service to rate my answer positively. If you don’t give me a positive rating, I don’t get paid.

You may get the impression the thread closes after rating, but it does not, it remains open and we can still exchange emails if anything needs clarification.

Kind regards.