Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
13262538

My very close friend wishes to send 1.8 million pounds from

Customer Question

My very close friend wishes to send 1.8 million pounds from the UK to Australia. He now has been told that he need IMF clearance to do this. Is this something that is real?
JA: I'm the Lawyer's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: I just need to know if it is necessary to get IMF clearance to send this amount of money
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: the money is in the UK and will be sent to Australia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: about what
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: we have got clearance from the tax office and the minister of finance in the UK and they now want a IMF clearance to transfer these funds. The minister of finance says that because the amount is over $1MiL we need IMF approval is this correct
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Strange question I know - have you actually physically met your friend?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
for about ten years
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have been friend with this person for about ten years the money belong to him and he wants to transfer it form the UK to Australia to his own bank
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what more do you want?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
why can you not tell me the answer to my question? a very simple question: does one need an IMF certificate to transfer over $1mil from the UK to Australia into there own bank account .
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
are you telling me that you cannot say yes or no to my question unless I pay you $82 and also pay for a phone call is this correct
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

Certainly not - no need to pay any extra or have a phone call - they are just irritating pop ups on the site.

I did ask if you had met the friend in person.

The Reason I ask this is because someone is being misled and I cannot tell if it is you , your friend, or both of you.

Whilst the sum involved is impossibly large for you and I in terms of International finance it is negligible.

If there were such funds which needed to be transferred then there would be no need for clearance from anybody at all - not the Uk Tax Office; not our Government (Our Minister of Finance is the Chancellor of the Exchequer who deals with Policy not individual transfers however large) and certainly not the IMF who have no control over the banks at all.

However all of those "requirements" are common language for a Scammer - it is called "advanced fee fraud" and you can read about it here

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/fraud-az-advance-fee-fraud

I am so very very sorry - but you and your friend have been scammed - there is no money waiting for you and I fear that any fees you have paid to date are lost.

Please ask if you need further details