Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience

I housing association (HA) signed a lease residential

Customer Question

I housing association (HA) signed a lease for a residential property with a landlord some 5 years ago. 3 years ago they decided that they would cancel all direct leases as they would like to deal with a single letting agency for simplicity. They would continue to be the ultimate tenant as they would let from the letting agency. At that time landlords were asked to sign a new lease agreement with a wholly unrelated letting agency. One of the landlords has now taken their property back and is suing the HA for damages to the propety on the basis that they did not sign the new contract in the presence of the HA and did not know what they were signing. Should the HA settle or dispute the claim on the basis that they're lease ended some time ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 3 months ago.

I rather think that the HA would dispute the claim, but it would rather depend on the evidence and whether the original lease was still in reality in force.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what evidence would it depend on?

Did they actually cancel the original leases or not; or simply vary; or just talk about it. Please remember to rate positive