Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

I've stolen money from my employer months now they contacted

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: I've stolen money from my employer for few months now they contacted my agents today regarding this matter they said they will invistagate what shall I do I know what did was wrong and I will never forgive myself for this
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: U.K.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 months ago.

Good morning. Thank you for your question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

I need some more information please. Please bear in mind that no one knows who you are, or where you are including me and hence, you can be honest if you wish.

How much money if you take over what period of time?

When they investigate, will they find out that you have taken this?

Are you in a position to pay back?

Do you think the employers is likely to contact the police?

As much background detail as possible really useful please. Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The money I've taken is about just £3000 it was withing 3-4 months and yes if they investigate they will find out because there's a cctv camera
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
other thing is I used false signature
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 months ago.

Thank you.

As you appreciate, it is entirely up to the employer whether they involve the police or not. You know you’re going to get found out, it’s also entirely up to you whether you confess now or wait till later.

The sentencing guidelines, it is reported to the police and you are prosecuted, are here.

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/SC-Theft-Offences-Definitive-Guideline-content_FINAL-web_.pdf

this is theft from an employer and hence there is a breach of trust which makes it more serious.

It also happens over the period of time, rather than a one-off and that makes it more serious.

The guidelines are between pages 3-8.

Page 4, this is probably culpability, B medium .

Page 5: category 3.

Page 6: you will see that cross-referencing B3 the sentencing range is between a low-level community order and 36 weeks custody. If it’s a first offence, it is likely to be a low-level community order because custodial sentences would be reserved for repeat offences.

You may also get a fine would probably be ordered to repay.

Does that answer the question? Can I answer any specific points arising from this?

Please don’t forget to use the rating service to rape my answer positively. If you don’t use the rating service, I don’t get paid.

You may think that the thread closes after rating, but it does not, it remains open, and we can still exchange emails if anything needs clarification.

Kind regards

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 months ago.

Thank you.

The guidelines are between pages 3-8.

Page 5: category 3.

Kind regards