Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

I am an escort and have received a letter to my home address

Customer Question

I am an escort and have received a letter to my home address (by Royal Mail), and various texts and calls. Basically threatening to send screenshots if any (what they consider repulsive) pictures of me to all fritnds, colleagues and work places , unless I removed All pictures by midnight last night . and shut down my profile on don't escorting sites.
I ignored everything , but this morning I get another text saying.. "We have contacted your sisters explaining how porn modelling and pristitution is more important to you. "
They haven't contacted my family . And I gave contacted the police .. They are coming over hater . But I am worried hiw they will respond towards me Bd my legitimate concerns
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

what would you like to know about this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What I can do? And will the police do anything to stop this. I'm worried thst In admitting I escort they will look badly apon me. This group obviously have dg jes info various accounts and target many others . It is not right
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry I mean they obviously target lots of girls. They have my home address. Tel number . Twitter /Facebook. Acc details etcetc
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

It is possible that the police may well have negative views about escorts.

However, if you are operating lawfully there shouldn't be any risks in reporting this. Also, quite frankly, complainants quite often are just next week's defendant so I really don't think you need to worry about that. Victims usually have a list of previous convictions as long as your arm so the police don't usually expect that anybody be saintly.

There are limits to what they can do about this. You seem to be describing basically a harassment. That is an offence but it isn't the most serious on the statute books. If these people can be easily identified then they will be picked up and prosecuted. If not, then probably not. The police apparently take the view that investigating false allegations of sexual abuse made for the purposes of claiming compensation is more important than dealing with proper crime like burglary so realistically this offence is not going to get priority. It is quite difficult and time consuming to investigate things like withheld numbers and anonymous emails.

Can I clarify anything for you?