Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

I have been receiving abusive texts, letters and Facebook

Customer Question

I have been receiving abusive texts, letters and Facebook messages from someone at work for 4 months. I was even sent passwords and user name for my student accommodation WiFi, Facebook, email account and online banking detail. The police refused to investigate the matter. Another colleague was receiving similar messages and the police investigated their issue. However, I was arrested as the public WiFi used was 5 minutes away from where I live. They are doing finger print tests on all the documents including a DVD. My concern is if work paper or envelope has been used what are the chances that my or a work colleague's finger prints being found? And, if someone has used my internet, how do I prove my innocence? And what are the chances of finger print transfer on a DVD box?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

A DVD case would very likely contain the finger prints of anybody who has touched it. It is exactly the type of surface likely to retain it.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

However, the crown have to prove your guilt.

If a public wifi was used close to you then that points to you but it doesn't prove that it was you. It is equally possible that others could have used it. That isn't enough to form the basis of a charge. It is evidence that could be used in addition to other pieces of evidence. On it's own it is not compelling. Combined with other evidence it may be.

Similarly a fingerprint doesn't prove anything unless you have no credible explanation for how your prints came to be there.

Can I clarify anything for you?