Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
13262538

Living in US with my wife who is UK Citizen and has

Customer Question

Hello :
I am US Citizen living in US with my wife who is UK Citizen and has temporary 2 year green card.
My wife has middle name as it's Ex-Husbandn's name on his UK Passport and that could be a potential red flag when we file a petition to remove the condition on his 2 year green card and to get 10 year green card with supporting document that ours is genuine marriage and not a fake one just to get a green card for her.
In short, My wife needs her middle name changed from her Ex's name to My Name at the earliest possible.
We live in USA and have no clue about
- how long it takes to change a Name ( Just a Middle Name ) Post Our Marriage which
was in USA
- roughly how much expense there would be for this
- Does My Wife Needs to visit UK for this ?
Pl help us as time is running out for us ...
Thank you,
Sincerely,
- Annonymous
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Please note: (1) If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; and (2) I answer most questions within the hour. However, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and JA’s site disclaimers presented to you earlier. Finally, please remember to assign a feedback rating to close out the question.

Answer will follow in the pane below in a short while….

Expert:  Maverick replied 5 months ago.

We live in USA and have no clue about how long it takes to change a Name ( Just a Middle Name ) Post Our Marriage which was in USA.

1. It takes about 3 weeks to renew her British Passport which is what you need to do if you want to change her middle name on it.

2. You can renew her passport at any time. It costs about £80.00 but other fees may apply since she is applying from the USA. When she renews her passport, the time left on her existing passport is added to her new one, up to a maximum of 9 months.

Does My Wife Needs to visit UK for this ? Pl help us as time is running out for us ...

3. Use this web-link to from the USA.

Expert:  Clare replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Are "Change of Name Deeds" used in the States at all?