Alex J.
Alex J., Litigator
Experience:  LLB, LPC, DELF
13113900

I had used the services of a photographer and was in session

Customer Question

Hi. I had used the services of a photographer and was in session with him. He was taking my pictures. He knew I was a psychotherapist. He made remarks about how I was posing alluding to some Indians he knew who could not pose. Then he went on to tell me that his son committed suicide by falling on the M1 from a height and said, 'now we keep smiling' and took my picture. I found all this traumatising and after a week, sent him a text saying he should not do this to customers. He complained against me to my ethical body. They told me about it and the matter does not seem to have gone further. I am well within my boundaries that I cannot give psychotherapy while I am posing for photographs ! Now I am not entitled to see his letter or their response. Why not ?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: UK
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Well, my husband had paid for these 50th birthday luxury photo sessions. They were slightly risqué pictures and I found it embarrassing that my colleagues in the ethical body should come to know of all this
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Has your professional regulator closed the complaint against you? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is the email I received -We have not heard anything further from Mr McHale, and I assume the BPC has not heard from him either - if they had received anything from him, both you and FPC would have been notified immediately.We have no intention of communicating with him again.I am not in a position to give you a copy of the correspondence between Mr McHale and FPC, as the correspondence is confidential - unless he pursues a complaint.Best wishesGill
Convenor, FPC Ethics and Professional Standards Committee
Expert:  Alex J. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, Thank you. The only way you may be able to get hold of this is to make a Subject Access Request to your regulator - they will then have to disclose all personal data they hold on you. This may force them to include a copy (in part) of the complaint. The only thing I would say is (and solicitors have the same problem) as a regulated professional you have to accept that people have the right to complain about you, even if the complaint is baseless - you just have to take comfort in the fact that your regulator will treat you fairly. Ultimately there may be policy reasons for not disclosing the complaint - for example the complaint may not be a reflection of you at all, but an indication that this person has there own problems and therefore disclosing the complaint will breach their privacy. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards AJ