Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

I recently received a Summons to which I acknowledged

Customer Question

Hello, I recently received a Summons to which I acknowledged service. I entered that I believed I had a valid counter claim. Unfortunately I suffer from chronic asthma and depression and missed the deadline to file my defense. Received a judgement in default. The judgement is in the name of of my Limited Company (without the Limited part). I have now received bailiff's letter. How can I proceed please?
JA: Employment law can be complex. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. The attorneys have a lot of experience with this, and it would be my pleasure to match you with the best fit.
Customer: This is not employment law it is a civil debt???
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I did some work for the plaintiff but they never paid me.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 5 months ago.

You will need to apply to the court to set aside the judgment and advise the bailiffs you have done so.

To apply to set aside you will need to prepare your application form N244 and your Defence and Counterclaim. It is not enough just to show why you missed the deadline you also have to show you have a defence to the claim.

You can obtain precedents from the web

You will need to file the same in court and pay the fee for both the application and the counterclaim fee. This varies depending on the amount claimed in the counterclaim but the court can advise on the exact amount.

If there are any further points please respond I will be happy to reply

Best wishes

Michael

Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 5 months ago.

How much is the debt for?