F E Smith
F E Smith, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years in General Practice
18203470

Thanks and I appreciate the quick response and the straight

Customer Question

Thanks and I appreciate the quick response and the straight forward answers.
I represent a US client that is dealing with a group that is prepare to loan the client $12M dollars but are requesting fees for the two items I mention and indicate that these fees has to be paid one day prior to the funds being wired.
I thought this sounds like a scam but want to verify with a lawyer who understand the UK.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 months ago.

My first thought was that this is a scam. We get many such scams reported on here.

How did the client find the group and find out that this group is prepared to lend the $12 million?

If you can explain the situation in detail including any names and addresses and qualifications and possibly attach any paperwork, that will assist.

Best wishes

Under the provisions of the Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992, s1(1), if the neighbour will not give you consent to enter in the land for any work reasonably required to preserve your property (that means maintain it and this would certainly be maintenance) then you can apply to court for an order against the neighbour and you can ask the court to award the legal costs against him.

Here is the statutory provision. It is a very short act and quite self-explanatory. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1992/23/contents

Tell the neighbour in writing that unless he/she gives access to you in order to be able to carry out this maintenance and to do so within the next 7 days, you will make an application to court for a court order without further notice. A solicitors letter will probably carry more weight. The neighbour cannot continue to refuse access for this purpose.

Please note that you are not allowed access under this act for new building although you are allowed access for new building under the Party Wall Act.

Check your house insurance as many house insurance policies have legal expenses cover that may pay for the legal costs.

Can I clarify anything for you? Please do not forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid. We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.

FES.

Please ignore the previous post. It was posted in error...

Best wishes