Naveed Khan
Naveed Khan,
Experience:  Attorney - Freelancer at ELANCE

Would it be legal consenting 16 year old to engage with

Customer Question

Would it be legal for a consenting 16 year old to engage with online text based sexual chat with someone aged 20?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Naveed Khan replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your query.

Please note, that in the UK, for a sane young adult to give consent to sexual activity they must be aged 16 years or over.

This means that according to the law, only those who are aged 16 or over are able to freely agree to any sexual activity, in full understanding of the consequences of having sex. Also note, this decision to consent should have been made without that person being: pressured or bullied, encouraged to use drugs or alcohol to influence their decision, or manipulated or made to feel stupid.

In the UK the law says that both people must give their consent before any physical closeness or sexual activity. This means that if you want to have sex, you should always make sure that your partner wants to as well.

The law also says that to consent to sex a person must be over 16 and have the ability to make informed decisions for themselves.

It is always a crime to have sexual activity with somebody without their consent. If someone does not feel free to make a choice (e.g. because they were pressured or threatened) then they have not consented, even if they don’t say no.

Hope this answers your question. PLEASE RATE ME positive so that I can get paid for my response. Please do not forget. You must rate my answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, thanks for your answer.And the above also applies to online activity? Of course not images or video, but talking in a sexual way through text?

Yes. Please rate thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, thanks.
To be honest, I'm looking for something with a bit more clarity than what I could already find online. Could you advise as to how the question can be opened to others?
I can open it up for others but may be I have not clearly stated the law. The law will remain the same no matter who answers the query for you. Under Sexual Offences Act 2003, those aged 16 or over are able to freely agree to any sexual activity in understanding full consequences of having sex. If they can have sex and consent to same at 16, what to speak of text messages or sexual chat. Are you still not clear?