Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

I hacked my boyfriends email and Facebook account and I

Customer Question

I hacked my boyfriends email and Facebook account and I didn't know whether to turn myself in to the police
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: UK and in the last week
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I didn't know what to do
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: Well my boyfriends been off with me so I found his Facebook password ***** email address laying round the house I logged on to find he's signed up to lots of dating sites and is messaging girls
JA: Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: No that's all I did but I know it's wrong but its gone abit wrong and now he has his internet provider involved to trace it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 8 months ago.

This is an offence under the Computer Misuse Act. However depending on what’s happened since, the police may or may not be particularly interested.

The high-profile cases have been where journalists have been into deceased people’s mobile phone messages and email accounts.

You can let me have the circumstances of what’s happened since, I can advise you the best way forward. Thank you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I sent some of the facebook messages to myself from his account to prove he was going elsewhere and all i know is that he has contacted bt to try and sort it all out. I dont know what to do it was such a stupid mistake
Expert:  Stuart J replied 8 months ago.

Have you fallen out with him? Have you admitted this to him? If you haven’t, why don’t you do that first if you have now reconciled?

What are you looking ultimately to happen?