Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

How can I tell if this Royal Jade Vacations is a scam?

Customer Question

I have been dealing with Royal Jade Vacations – and they have told me that I won some money; however, their sponsor in HK is the one paying the money and I am being told that I need to pay money to the sponsors for a Letter of Authorization in order for the funds to be paid to me. Is this a scam?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is a scam. These types of scams Such types of scams are, known as ‘advance-fee fraud’ are unfortunately extremely common these days and many unsuspecting people fall for them.
The best way to spot these is by identifying specific 'red flags' that are often present in the build-up to the scams. The following are the most common ones and if they sound familiar then you can almost guarantee you are involved in a scam:
{C}· Someone contacts you and promises you a large sum of money. You are unlikely to have ever heard of or been involved with the persons/organizations concerned.
{C}· Before you are able to receive the promised amount, you will be asked are asked to pay a sum of money for various reasons, usually as clearance fees, administrative costs, taxes, or the letter of authorization they mention here, etc. This is the advance-fee part of the scam.
{C}· Tempted by the potential return, you pay the money in good faith.
{C}· Once the money has is been sent, the fraudster either the fraudster stops all contact and the promised money never materializes, or they return and ask for further payments due to new unsuspected issues.
DO NOT proceed any further with this. DO NOT send any information and certainly do not send money if asked to. Cease all contact with the other party and do not communicate any further with them.
I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognizes the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you