Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

I am in court next month charges basically ringing a fella a

Customer Question

I am in court next month for harrsement charges basically ringing a fella a lot and was wondering what likely penalty is
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: It a bank holiday today intend ring tomorrow but wondered what likely penalty is I haven't been trouble with law before
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: The fella in question is doin this cause he found out his wife is having an affair with me
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello??????
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 6 months ago.

is it a civil or criminal case

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what do you mean? I have been summoned to court if that answers your question

what type of court? Do you know.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
magistrate court

I see - what is the alleged level of the harassment

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
phonecalls and two text mgs
Expert:  Stuart J replied 6 months ago.

I see that you’ve been waiting a while for this. I will try to help.

I’m surprised that this is actually going as far as the magistrates court but that would depend on the number of telephone calls and whether there have been any other allegations. Usually, this is dealt with by way of a simple warning letter or a formal caution.

The definitive sentencing guidelines are here. Please turn to page 70

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/MCSG_web_-_October_2014.pdf

If you look at table A towards the top of the page and then aggravating factors at the bottom of the page in table B, and then refer backup to the Starting Point and Range in table A, the sentencing range goes from a fine to community order.

From what you have said, I think it’s likely that you will get a fine and perhaps a restraining order to have no further contact. If you do have further contact, then it’s much more serious.

A band C fine is an amount of money between 125% and 175% of relavent weekly income.

Does that answer the question? Can I answer any specific points arising from this?

You may get the impression the thread closes after rating, but it does not, it remains open and we can still exchange any emails if something needs clarification.

Kind regards