Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

Pearl. I've received a death threat via phone JA: OK. The

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. I've received a death threat via phone
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: basically I receive this call the other day. A feamle voice with american accent said that if I don't give up to the redundancies process in my company, my sons and wife will disappear and their bodies will never be found
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: well, there's a group of 30 people about to be made redundant. But I do not konw who the culprit is
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
Have you reported this to the police?is it your company?As much background detail as possible is really useful please. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I haven't reported this to the police. It is not my company.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot recognise the voice and I do not have any recording of it. So no evidence. But I'm scared
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what should I do? I llive in uk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey are you there? Where is the answer? Do you think that the police could search and interrogate all the 30 suspects to find the culprit?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.You go immediately to the police. I would not even wait until tomorrow.You tell them exactly what was said as far as you are able and tell them when and approximately what time this happened.They will take this threat extremely seriously because it is highly likely that it’s one of the people who are under threat of redundancy or their immediate family that is responsible for this.Whilst these threats are invariably empty threats very often said in the heat of the moment or fuelled by alcohol, nonetheless, the police will investigate it.It would be useful if you had a list of all the people who are being threatened with redundancy, names and addresses et cetera to pass over to the police.Obviously, at this stage, you don’t know who it is but that is for the police to investigate and to do so using the telephone company records if necessary.You ask whether the police could search and interrogate all the 30 suspects to find the culprit. Yes indeed they can do just that.I’m sorry for the delay in getting back to you but it isn’t an instant service. We are all real lawyers in practice with home and travelling and clients and offices et cetera.Therefore, sometimes we may get back to you in minutes or other times it may be longer.I can confirm that I am based in the UK, I am in Cheshire.Does that answer the question?Can I answer any specific points arising from this? Please don’t forget to use the rating service to rate my answer service positively otherwise I get no credit for my time.It does not cost you anything but it helped me greatly.You may think thread closes after rating, but it does not, it remains open and if you want to ask for clarification of anything, we are still able to exchange emails. Kind regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks for the response. You mean the police can inteerogate 30 people and search them? I'm a bit imbarassed in distressing so many people for a phone call. They do not deserve it. But how can the police track the phone call? It was an invisible number?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
If necessary, the police will interrogate 30 people or even more.I don’t know all the intricacies of the technology behind the electronics of the telephone company but, whilst it may not appear on your phone when you dial 1471, that’s not to say that the telephone company do not know exactly where these calls are coming from.The police may not necessarily search people but they could certainly ask for their mobile phones to ascertain whether anyone has dialled your number although of course, the numbers may have been deleted.I would not be at all embarrassed in distressing so many people. The person that should be embarrassed is the one that made the phone call because it’s then that caused the problem for all the colleagues, not you.A physical presence of uniformed police in the workplace and knowledge that everyone is being interviewed is a great deterrent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what if the poice does not find any evidence? I suspect the phone call was made from a phone booth, I culd hear some traffic noise.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
Even the police cannot deal with impossibilities. However that is for them to worry about. It is highly likely that once the police started investigating, that will be the end of the matter.