Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

I have a defamation case JA: The Lawyer will need to help

Customer Question

I have a defamation case
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: Former employer is purposely writing bad references in order to effect my career prospects. I have evidence that he "intends to ruin my career"
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: He made a claim that I claimed i owe him money. the contract proves otherwise
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 6 months ago.

Let me see if I can help and please rate positive.

Firstly no one should be misleading in a reference and where they are you have a claim against them. If you think the statements made in the reference are untrue and believe that it then unfairly harmed your future work prospects you may be able to sue for ‘negligent misstatement’. To do so, you must show that:

• The information in the reference is misleading
  • Providing this misleading information has had a negative effect on your future employment
  • Your employer was negligent in providing a reference.

I would get a solicitor to write to them formally and put them on notice that you intend to take legal action in this regard. Happy to discuss further and please rate positive.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 5 months ago.

Does that answer the question? Can I answer any specific points arising from this?

Please do not forget to rate my answer service positively so that I get credit for my time today.

You may get the impression that the thread closes after rating but it does not, it remains open and we can still exchange emails if anything else needs clarification.

Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 4 months ago.