Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

A friend was accused of abuse by his step daughter (13) last

Customer Question

Hi.
A friend was accused of sexual abuse by his step daughter (13) last October. I'm trying to help him answer some questions, and any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
The case went to CPS about 18 weeks ago, and he's still waiting to hear back from them. Is this a normal length of time to wait? The police officer in charge of the investigation suggested it would be about 4 weeks.
The longer it goes on the worse my friends mental state is becoming. He is suffering badly with depression and anxiety. He is off work currently because of this.
He has had to move out of his home, lost his wife and access to both his son and his step daughter. He has only limited visits by his son, all of which have to be supervised. Is he entitled to ask his wife for more visits from his son? Or have his rights as a parents in this regard been frozen?
I know that he is innocent, and would never hurt anyone, never mind a member of his family. He has been like a dad to his step daughter since she was about 3 years old. As far as I'm aware the only evidence they took was interviews with family members, and mobile phones, which had nothing on them. The step daughter has a history of self harming, lying and causing issues in the close and extended family which came out in the interviews I'm told. He hasn't yet been charged. I am as convinced as I can be that the evidence isn't secure enough to take it to court, but my friend has been told that 99.9% of sexual abuse cases go to court. Is this right, or do we have some hope that it might not get that far? Should we be encouraged by the length of time it is taking and the fact that he hasn't yet been charged?
Thanks for any help you can give.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 months ago.
Not really.They quite often keep people on bail for long periods of time. It has been the subject of criticism really. It doesn't make it any less likely or more likely that he will be charged.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 months ago.
Far too many sexual offences are charged. It is better than it was 6 months ago but usually they charge them. I'm afraid that CPS have long since stopped applying the proper test to sexual offences even if they do not say so officially. Every bit of rubbish is prosecuted.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 months ago.
Was there anything else you wanted to know?