Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I hope you can help me There was a domestic incident at my

Customer Question

Hi I hope you can help me
There was a domestic incident at my house a couple of nights ago, my husband pushed me and I fell over causing some bruising. While I fully appreciate that his actions were an assault on me, even though he didn't hit me, I'm very worried about the way the whole thing is being handled.
After the police had taken him away, they came back to speak to me and took a statement, however I was very very distressed and in shock at what had happened, and it wasn't until this morning I suddenly realised I had not been given chance to read the written statement that the police officer had done, nor did he read it to me.
I have told the police on the phone this morning that I don't feel this was handled correctly and I want to see the statement, to which I was told they will get back to me within 24 hours.
C.D.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.
How did the police come to be aware?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I rang them because I was frightened and my husband wouldn't let me leave the house
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.
Have you done this before? Either to him or to others.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My ex husband Was arrested for domestic abuse and I had a panic button in my home for around a year.
My husband has never hit me, I am 59 and he is sixty five, he has his own business and I work for him. Things have been so stressful at work and we have both suffered because of this. What he did was wrong, I could have been more seriously hurt than I am ( I have lots of bruises from hitting the floor) But now I'm scared it's turning into a manhunt. Not seeing the statement scares and worries me. My Husband is not a bad man, I don't want him sent to prison.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.
Ok. That is the issue then.It will be a manhunt. You have called the police and made an allegation and have a history of doing this.I presume that you made a statement immediately to officers? Which you would have signed?Do you know if they used body cams?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't know if they used body cams, I was in total shock, one officer sat down and was writing the statement, and I felt very dazed and strange. When he finished writing he said just need you to sign this in case it goes to court. He didn't tell me to read it, or read it out to me. I haven't dressed or left the house since this happened and can't stop shaking, I don't think it was handled correctly at all, surely the officer should have made sure I read the statement? Do I need to go and see a solicitor?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.
It very definitely was handled correctly. It is what happens if you summons the police to family disputes.There is no point in seeing a solicitor.Did you sign the statement?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Wasn't the officer meant to make sure I read and understood the statement?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.
No, it is for you to read the statement.Did you sign it?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.
Ok.Did they take photographs of your injuries?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But I was in a state and didn't read it... I can't take any more, it's such a mess
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.
Did they take photographs of your injuries?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
they did
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just want to know that the statement is exactly what I said, and not embellished in any way.. I have asked to see it... Do they have to show me? I feel like there's no one I can trust
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.
It is not going to be embellished. The police would no have no interest in doing that. They just take a note of what you say to them at the time and, in fairness, you would have watched him write it out in front of you.If you tell them you are reluctant they will summons you. They may summons you anyway though because of your history. They may struggle to get a summons until they actually receive some indication from you that you are reluctant though.The statement will be shown to you at court before you give evidence. They may give you a copy earlier.If you have let them take photographs of the injuries though then probably they will prosecute on that basis.In terms of not trusting anybody, I’m afraid the only way to keep control of family disputes is not to involve the police. As soon as you call 999 you lose all control. That is not to say that you have to put up with any nonsense but just that involving the police is dangerous.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Summons me because of my history??? What an awful thing to say! I came across this site because I was seeking help and all you have done is make me feel much worse. You have no idea of my past or what I have suffered. I will seek legal advice first thing in the morning. I would not reccomend this service to anyone. I felt stressed and worried before.. I now feel suicidal.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.
Oh sorry. I didn't mean it to be anything other than factual.They will be aware of the previous calls you have made and it will impact upon their decision. There is no way around it.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.
I can't tell you they will ignore it as that will not be truthful.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.
But given that you accept making a number of calls in a previous relationship the chances they will not be considering a witness summons for you are minimal.